Application Process Overview
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, programs will not be holding applicants responsible for not completing the appropriate amount of electives prior to application for academic year 2021-2022.
Application to ES Category 1 Programs
All Enhanced Skills Category 1 programs will be accepting applications for the 2021 match cycle via CaRMS. Please see application timeline listed below or visit the CaRMS website for a detailed description of the timeline.
Application Timeline for Category 1 Programs. Please regularly refer to the CaRMS website for potential change in dates.
- July 8, 2020 at 12:00 (noon) ET – CaRMS registration
- 4 August 2020 at 12:00(noon) ET - Access to CaRMS Online
- 2 September 2020 at 12:00(noon) ET - Program selection period begins
- 4 September 2020 at 17:00ET - DEADLINE: Submission of translation requests
- 15 September 2020 - DEADLINE: Submission of applicant assessment forms
- 16 September 2020 at 12:00(noon) ET - DEADLINE: Assignment of applications and documents
- 16 September 2020 at 12:05ET - File review period begins
- 8 October 2020 - DEADLINE: Interview status updates in CaRMS Online
- 16 October 2020- 30 November 2020 - National interview period
- 12 November 2020 at 12:00(noon) ET - Ranking period begins
- 3 December 2020 at 15:00ET - DEADLINE: Submission of applicant rank order lists
- 16 December 2020 at 12:00(noon) ET - MATCH DAY
- 13 January 2021 at 15:00ET - CaRMS Online access closes
Available spots for Category 1 Programs
- Addiction Medicine – 2 spots
- Care of Elderly – 3 spots
- Emergency Medicine – 8 spots
- FP-Anaesthesia – 2 spots
- Palliative Medicine – 2 spots
- Sport & Exercise Medicine – 2 spots
At this time, we are unable to accept Re-Entry/Return from Practice applicants for Category 1 programs due to funding limitations.
Application to ES Category 2 Programs
Application Timeline for Category 2 Programs
- 14 August to 31 October 2020 – Application period
- 1 to 25 November 2020 – File Review and Interview period
- 25 November 2020 – Offers sent to successful applicants
- 2 December 2020 by 3pm MT – Deadline for acceptance of offers. Please note that if an applicant accepts a Category 2 spot and they have also applied to Category 1 ES Program(s), they are required to withdraw from the Category 1 Rank Order list no later 1pm MT on 3 December 2020 per guidelines set out by CaRMS. Please refer to the following statement from CaRMS and the Canadian Enhanced Skills Program Directors Committee: "Please note, you can only match to a single Category 1 program through CaRMS. Should you match to a Category 1 program through CaRMS, this is a binding contract and you will need to relinquish or decline any subsequent Category 2 offers you receive. Should you receive and accept a Category 2 offer PRIOR to the CaRMS rank order list deadline, you will need to withdraw from the CaRMS match. Between the rank order list deadline and match day, you cannot accept any Category 2 offers. Any circumvention of this policy will result in a match violation and may result in disciplinary actions."
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- References: 1 Program Director and 2 Other referees. Please ask your referees to send reference letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Send your applications to Category 2 programs by email to email@example.com .
Available spots for Category 2 programs
- Health Equity: Local and Global Care – 2 spots
- Maternal and Newborn Care – 3 spots
Category 2 programs are open to practicing family physicians and current family medicine residents. We encourage anyone interested in the Category 2 programs to apply. However, it is important to note that funding for so-called "Re-Entry" resident positions (practicing family physicians who have graduated from residency more than 6 months ago) is controlled and limited by UofC Postgraduate Medical Education, and is not guaranteed.
For queries regarding the search and selection process, please contact Enhanced Skills Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.